What are the most secure newer automobiles for teenagers underneath $20,000?
Searching for a more recent automobile that is secure, dependable, and cheap? That may appear to be an automotive unicorn on this time of file excessive new automobile costs and equally obstinate used automobile costs. Fret not, the IIHS and Shopper Reviews have teamed up on Tuesday to replace their annual record of really helpful new and used automobiles focused for teen security.
With teen crash charges occurring at practically 4 occasions these of different drivers, the emphasis on teen driver security resonates much more for 2023. The variety of folks killed in automobile crashes elevated by the biggest price in historical past in 2021, when 42,915 People died in a motorized vehicle crash. Teen highway deaths elevated 11% throughout the identical yr, to three,058 fatalities, which had been the very best reason behind demise for kids by way of the age of 19 till it was lately surpassed by firearm-related deaths.
“As mother and father, we will’t management what occurs on the highway as soon as our teen driver pulls out of the driveway,” Jennifer Stockburger, director of operations at Shopper Report’s Auto Take a look at Middle, stated in a press release. “However we do have some say in the kind of automobile they drive off in, and that may make an enormous distinction.”
An enormous consider automobile purchasing for any drive is price, and security elements into that equation. The financial price of a minor crash also can drain a household. In January, the NHTSA launched a complete research that calculated the full societal price of automobile crashes, borne by each American, not simply these instantly concerned in automobile crashes, to be $1,035 per insured driver. However most newer automobiles come geared up with superior driver help programs (ADAS) designed to mitigate the impacts of a crash or keep away from them altogether.
The 2022 Subaru Outback charges
Fortuitously, that expertise is not reserved for increased finish autos loaded with choices. In 2022, the 20 largest automakers dedicated to a volunteer pledge brokered by the IIHS to equip 95% of its new automobiles bought with computerized emergency braking (AEB), whereby the automobile brakes itself when an imminent rear-end crash is detected. That features many new fashions from automakers starting from Buick to Volkswagen with beginning costs properly beneath the common new automobile value of $47,000.
This unicorn is extra of a Goldilocks. This yr, the IIHS and Shopper Reviews break up the suggestions into 16 really helpful new autos for teenagers and 46 really helpful used automobiles for teenagers. The partnership had a tricky time limiting suggestions underneath the outdated value ceiling of $20,000, and this yr saved the brand new automobile record beneath $40,000 and the used automobile record beneath $20,000.
The entire suggestions share some smart rule-of-thumb traits in the case of vehicular security. The IIHS and Shopper Reviews advise mother and father and different security consumers to keep away from high-horsepower automobiles that may tempt even the very best people to do dumb issues, particularly teen boys. The total record additionally excludes small automobiles that weigh lower than 2,750 kilos, which supply much less crash safety. On the opposite finish of the spectrum, bloated full-size SUVs or vehicles are omitted for the way lengthy it takes them to cease and for dealing with that is more durable to manage. They’re additionally a lot more durable to park in class parking tons.
The brand new automobiles have more durable crash standards to earn the advice, and thsoe suggestions recommend that the custom of passing down the outdated household beater to the latest driver may not be as useful as one with trendy crash safety and driver-assist programs.
However, the prudent—or maybe self-indulgent—mum or dad might purchase one of many new automobiles on the record with the plan of passing it down in a couple of years to the brand new driver. Everybody’s a winner.
Rounded to the closest $100 for the bottom mannequin, the costs are all pulled from Kelley Blue Guide truthful buy costs as of Might 11, 2023, however they exclude the necessary vacation spot price.
Most secure new automobile suggestions
- Honda Odyssey, $38,100
- Mazda 3 sedan or hatchback, $23,000
- Subaru Legacy, $25,100
- Subaru Outback, $29,300
The most secure new crossovers are:
- Honda HR-V, $24,400
- Subaru Forester, $27,700
- Mazda CX-5, $27,800
- Mazda CX-50, $28,900
- Toyota RAV4, $29,300
- Honda CR-V, $29,700
- Lexus UX, $36,000
The brand new three-row SUVs are:
- Subaru Ascent, $34,600
- Hyundai Palisade, $36,600
- Toyota Highlander, $37,100
- Mazda CX-9, $38,300
- Lexus NX, $39,800
Most secure used automobile suggestions
With automobile insurance coverage ever-present on the thoughts of these paying to insure new drivers, the IIHS and Shopper Reviews broke down the 46 used automobile suggestions into Good Selections and Greatest Selections. The Greatest Selections exclude autos with “considerably increased than common insurance coverage declare charges underneath medical fee, private harm safety or bodily harm legal responsibility protection,” in accordance with the IIHS’s Freeway Loss Information Institute. Each have digital stability management, above common reliability, common or higher dealing with and braking, and “Good” rankings on the core battery of exams from the IIHS.
A word about stability management: Mandated in 2012, digital stability management or traction management makes use of the antilock braking system to use or launch the brakes to sure wheels when it detects slippage and in addition reduces engine pace if the motive force hits the throttle. It is thought-about to be the most secure automotive expertise because the seat belt.
Additional, security companies urge anybody shopping for a used automobile to ensure its airbags have been changed as a part of the Takata airbag debacle, the biggest recall in automotive historical past that continues to roil the business. Get a carfax; cross-reference the VIN at nhtsa.gov to search out open remembers.
Greatest Used Selections
- Mazda 3 sedan or hatchback (2014-20; constructed after October 2013), $9,100
- Ford C-Max Hybrid (2014-16), $10,000
- Toyota Prius (2014; constructed after November 2013), $12,900
- Subaru Impreza sedan or wagon (2018, 2022), $14,500
Mid-size and huge automobiles
- Subaru Legacy (2013-21; constructed after August 2012), $7,800
- Mazda 6 (2014-18), $10,200
- Subaru Outback (2015-18, 2022), $12,200
- Toyota Prius v (2015-17), $14,500
- Volkswagen Passat (2017), $14,500
- Toyota Avalon (2015 or newer), $14,600
- BMW 3-Sequence (2017 or newer; constructed after November 2016), $16,500
- Hyundai Genesis (2016), $18,000
Crossover SUVs, minivans, and vehicles
- Volvo XC60 (2013,2017), $9,600
- Mazda CX-5 (2014 or newer; constructed after 2013), $11,800
- Nissan Murano (2015 or newer), $12,400
- Mazda CX-3 (2016, 2019), $13,900
- Honda CR-V (2015 or newer), $15,200
- Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (2018), $15,700
- Toyota Sienna (2015-2020), $15,700
- Honda HR-V (2017 or newer; constructed after March 2017), $16,000
- Toyota RAV4 (2015 or newer; constructed after Nov. 2014), $16,100
- Toyota Highlander (2014 or newer), $17,100
- Toyota Tacoma prolonged or crew cab (2016 or newer), $17,900
- Kia Niro plug-in hybrid (2018), $18,900
- Acura RDX (2016 or newer), $19,300
- Subaru Forester (2018 or newer), $20,000
Good Used Selections
- Kia Soul (2013, 2017, 2019, 2021 or newer), as little as $6,600
- Toyota Corolla sedan (2013 or newer), $9,700
- Chevrolet Volt (2013), $10,300
- Honda Civic sedan (2013-2015, 2020 or newer), $10,400
- Toyota Prius (2013), $11,700
Mid-size and huge automobiles
- Hyundai Genesis (2013), $10,000
- Ford Fusion (2014, 2016), $10,300
- Honda Accord coupe or sedan (2013 or newer), $10,400
- Audi A6 (2013-2015), $10,800
- Toyota Camry (2013 or newer), $11,400
- Toyota Avalon (2013-14), $11,700
- Toyota Prius v (2013), $12,000
- BMW 3 sequence sedan (2016), $14,000
- Audi A4 (2015-16), $14,200
- Hyundai Tucson (2014), $9,700
- Nissan Rogue (2015, 2017, 2021 or newer), $11,900
- Honda CR-V (2013-14), $12,400
- Acura RDX (2013-2015), $14,000
- Toyota RAV4 (2013-14), $14,100
- Toyota Highlander (2013), $14,500